A couple of weeks back I attended a cooking show at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, and watched 4 really great cooking demonstrations. One that struck me was this chocolate cake. Now being from Davis County (in Northern Utah) I had never heard of this store they kept referring to, called Nothing Bundt Cake – (http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/), I was intrigued.
- click this title for their recipe -
|Credit - this is their photo not mine.|
- 1 pkg. devils food cake, German chocolate cake, or chocolate cake mix
- 1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding
- 1 c. sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
- 2 (8 ounce) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 3-4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix first six ingredients together with a beater. Add chocolate chips. Pour into a greased bunt cake pan (cooking spray works best). Cook in oven at 350 degrees for 45-50 mins. Remove from oven. Let cool for 20 mins. Remove from pan. (I think it tastes best if you put it on a serving plate, wrap it well in Saran Wrap, and let it sit overnight in the fridge before frosting and serving..)
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar (start with 2 cups then keep adding more until it is nice and thick). That's it!
The only thing I would change is cut the frosting portion in half - this makes ALOT of frosting. But it's ooooo soooooo yummy.
The gals who demonstrated this cake are from www.favfamilyrecipes.com and I give them all the credit for this fantastic cake. I was so excited to try this recipe I bought their new book “Favorite Family Recipes”. So very glad that I did. They have tons a great family recipes and some "knock off recipes" too.
I would, however, like to try this in a Dutch oven to see how well it would turn out. I made this last night in a Bundt cake pan and it turned out fabulous. With a house full, they would not let me just put it in the fridge and wait, I am sitting hear eating a piece as I type this – and believe me it is better to wait till the 2nd day. I am sold!Ladies – thank you for a wonderful recipe.
What a great gift for a neighbor!
Have fun cookin’