Pin This

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving w/ the Boyers

For years I have battled with trying to cook pies, rolls, ham, etc in one oven and failing miserably. Because, I have yet to own an Ultimate Dutch Oven and my deep 14 D/O out of commission. I remembered, years back when we cooked a turkey on a neighbors Weber grill, and how good it turned out. I searched out how we did it.
This website is how I remember we did it – So Rod and I went to Home Depot and purchased a Weber One-touch Gold Grill, and the charcoal baskets.
I have friends who are in to BBQ competitions and smoking meats, I have heard them talk a lot about brining poultry before they cook it, so I soaked my turkey 20# in 6 quarts of 2-1/2 C salt water along with some onion (about 1 medium onion) and 1 head of garlic cloves, over night.
BBQ Turkey
At 9:30 in the morning, in 20° temperatures, I rubbed the turkey with olive oil and I sprinkled it with Mrs. Dash (Onion& Herb flavor) then I put the bird the grill, with 12 coals in each side, in the baskets. Each hour I checked the coals adding equally 6-10 coals as needed.  During the last hour I checked the temperature, when the thickest part of the breast read 165°, the turkey was done.

While carving it, it had the beautiful pink smoke ring, and outrageous flavor. This, is now our preferred way of cooking a turkey. It also freed up my oven so I could make my pies, rolls, and ham.
I was also grateful to spend the day with Rod’s parents, Traci and her family and Lee and his, as well as my dad. I am very thankful to have such a great family and friends.
As a side note, I have heard many times this holiday what is my favorite side dish on Thanksgiving. Mine has to be Onion Bombs, Green onions cleaned and trimmed to 4-5 inches, with a ball of cream cheese wrapped around the white end then rolled in shredded Colby Jack (or cheddar)cheese. To eat bite the cheesy end of the onion. It’s kinda like your own personal cheese ball.   
I would love to hear what your favorite side is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...