Pin This

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Ham/Clam Chowder


Today we awoke to a long awaited, 6" of new snow, and it screamed to me - SOUP DAY! I was tossing a couple of different kinds and this is the one that won out. I am sure I'll be making the other soon and I'll share it as soon as I make it. 

Ham / Clam Chowder

Today was Ham / Clam Chowder

1 C Butter, divided
2 C Chopped Onions
6 C Diced Potatoes
1 C Chopped Celery
16 oz Heavy Cream
1 16 oz Sour Cream
½ C Flour
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
2 C Milk
1 8 oz Package Diced Ham
2 6.5 oz Cans Chopped Clams (do not drain)
2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar



Sauté onions and celery in ½ C butter, add diced potatoes and cover with water, cook till tender.  In a separate pan melt ½ C butter stir in flour to make a roux, thin with the heavy cream, sour cream then with milk. Mix the roux into the vegetables, season with salt and pepper. At this point, because I have family members who dislike seafood, I split this into 2 pans and in one I add the package of ham and to the other the clams. Add red wine vinegar, and heat through.

Topping ideas for the Ham Chowder, shredded cheese, bacon, or green onions. 

Some of the variations I have made with this is to add a can of Cream Corn, and if I do not have any ham I've been known to add chopped up chicken. I have also mixed in a couple of cups of cheese to make this more like a baked potato soup. This is a very hearty soup, by all means this is not a "low fat" recipe. It is truly a comfort food. It was perfect on this snowy January afternoon. 

Hope you enjoy. 
Have fun Cookin'
Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...