Pin This

Monday, January 2, 2012

Sourdough Bread

In my quest to find my recipes for the World Championship Dutch Oven Cook Off, I have been reading and trying many different Bread recipes. Recipes that use water some that use milk, some that use powdered milk, some with Sourdough, bread flour vs regular flour vs whole wheat flour. There are so many variables when it comes to making bread. I shared the Lion House Rolls last month - they are pretty much a staple now for holiday dinners. I have been playing with Sourdough again, what can I say I'm addicted to sourdough bread, and well, so is my son. 


This past week I have been off work for the holidays, paired with getting the most awesome Christmas present ever - A Bosch Mixer, lets just say let the creating begin. I am sharing one of the recipes I was playing with that turned out beautiful and tasty. 



Sour Dough

4 3/4 cups flour
3 tsp white sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 ¼ tsp SAF dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
2 tbsps margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter

Egg wash
1 large egg
1 tsp water

In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Add milk and softened butter or margarine. Stir in starter. Mix in up to 3 3/4 cups flour gradually; you may need more depending on your climate.
 Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Form loaves. Brush top with egg wash. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, or till golden brown.

To this basic recipe I experimented by adding various cheeses, onions, garlic, etc. mixing them in after you punch down the dough. 

I encourage you to try this recipe and be creative with your mix in's. 


I have to add this note: When I created My sourdough start last year at this time - I managed to keep it pretty healthy until about June when it sort of got neglected and I had to toss it out - This time I got a start from a friend at work who told me he keeps his in the fridge and only feeds it about once about every two weeks or when he is going to use it. I have followed his example and so far so good. 
This is where I learned how to start a Sourdough starter and how to care for it. Sourdough Starter - this is found near the end of his page - Scroll down... Here is another great place to read up about Sourdough. Northwest Sourdough


Have fun cookin'
Cyndi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...