Pin This

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chicken & Dumplings

My original plan for dinner tonight was pancakes - we spent the morning helping the in-laws move furniture - they are getting new carpet this week - knowing my back and knees would be shot by dinner time pancakes sounded nice. Then I went to the Kohl's with my oldest and walked past a display of big cast iron dutch ovens - the package showed dumplings in their oven - So my quest for dinner began -


Chicken & Dumplings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3-4 stocks celery chopped
4 carrots peeled and chopped
3-4 medium potatoes
2 C cooked chicken
1-11/2 quarts of chicken stock
3-4 tablespoons modified corn starch (for thickening)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning

In a Dutch Oven, saute onions and celery in oil till tender,  add chicken, carrots, potatoes, and chicken stock. Cook till carrots and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle modified corn starch into the broth and stir till thickened yet still bubbly. Reduce heat. Add dumplings.

Dumplings
For tonight's dinner I cheated and used Bisquick
4 1/2 Cup Bisquick
1 1/3 Cup Milk
Mixed together and drop by spoonfuls on boiling soup/stew. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered then cover and cook for another 10 minutes.

I like a little parsley in my dumplings, so I add a little as I am mixing.

If you are feeling a little more ambitious, here is a link, to a Dumplings from scratch recipe.

There is nothing better that dumplings with a little butter and a bowl of stewed chicken. Mmmmmm. Comfort food at it's finest!

Have fun cookin'
Cyndi





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...