Pin This

Sunday, February 10, 2013

DUTCH OVEN CURRY

To make this a truly international affair, let me tell you I have never tried curry before I have seen it and frankly been terrified to try it, I am not a big fan of "Spicy" food but, after making this dish - all I can say is DANG, this was awesome.... The curry that is found in this dish is an Asian curry that is not too hot, and for wimps like me it was perfect. 

Dutch Oven Curry


Large cast iron skillet                                                  

1-2 lbs. chicken, or beef, or shrimp cut into cubes or pieces                                
Olive Oil or butter                                                             
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
1-2 cups water as needed
1 large onion, chopped   
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped         
1 1/2 cups diced potatoes (par-boiled)
S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix (we used one that was Mild to Medium)
4 cups cooked rice or noodles

Stir-fry meat in oil or butter about 3 minutes while stirring occasionally. 
Add onions and pepper and sauté.
Add rest of vegetables and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

The Curry in this is in a block about 5" by 2" it is found in the grocery store with the Asian food, and it come in different degrees of spicy, so if your taste buds are wanting a little kick, pick up a hotter curry mix. 

Some other notes on this - we used precooked cubed chicken and pre-cooked shrimp (frozen), if you do this skip the first step and add them in at the end and just warm them up. 

What a great change up in your camping menu's,or at home, quick easy and delicious.

Have fun cookin'
Cyndi

Note - I made this at the RV show 1 week later and this time I did not mix in the Rice I put the Curry over the top, looked very nice. 


Some of my thoughts on this recipe -  the 2nd go around... This time we did not have precooked chicken, so I began by simply frying up the cubed chicken and went from there.  Bill's recipe called for par boiled potatoes, I have been taught that root vegetable usually take about the same amount of time to cook,as long as they are cut, roughly, to the same size so  we were using raw carrots, I would not have had any issues using raw potatoes, because they would have cooked in the same amount of time, again this is a new found dish that is quite yummy, that I will certainly make again for my family. 
Cyndi


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...