Pin This

Monday, February 4, 2013

Greek Food Goodness

I have come to the conclusion that life will not slow down no matter how much I wish for it. Most days I feel like I am stuck in the fast lane, with no exit in site. When my husband suggested that we host a Super Bowl party, just a week and a half after helping our friends decorate for their wedding and cooking all the meat for it also, I got a bit frazzled. And well.....I could just keep going, on about things that have to get done, but life just doesn't stop.   So back the the Super Bowl Party, with the holidays finally over, I just couldn't bring myself to cook another turkey or ham. I was racking my brain, what is a good group food?  Souvlaki! a few years back I came across a really yummy recipe and
is great for Chicken, Pork or Beef. My favorite being Chicken.

Souvlaki

6 lbs Chicken (pork or beef is good too) cut into 1 inch cubes
1-1/2 C Olive Oil
1/4 C Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Oregano
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
4 Teaspoons Cavendars seasoning

Combine all ingredients, pour over meat and let marinate for 24 hours.
If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes and weigh them down with a pot or pan to make sure they stay immersed.
To prepare skewer the meat and if you choose you can alternate with veggies.
Veggie suggestions - Zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, onions.
Grill over high heat for 8 minutes or till meat is done turning once.

If you can't find Cavenders Seasoning in your local store, please click the link to order online. This seasoning is amazing, check out their web site for more recipes.

Tzatziki Sauce

1/2 C Cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
1/2 C Plain Low-fat Yogurt or Greek yogurt (Thicker)
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Clove Garlic Minced
Combine ingredients, stirring well. Serve with the Souvlaki.

Lemon Rice

This is for regular rice, it doesn't work so well with instant rice. 
2 Cans Chicken Broth
1 Can Rice
1 -1/2 cubes of Butter
Bring the broth to a boil, add 1 cube of butter, and the rice, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat add 1/2 cube butter, Cavenders seasoning, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

This was our Super Bowl fair. I hope you will give these recipes a try and...
Have fun cookin'
Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...