Pin This

Monday, November 14, 2011

Carnita's


The other day, we had an unusually slow day at work, as I was checking my e-mail there was a ticker that ran across the top that said Carnita’s from the “Homesick Texan”. I was intrigued. I clicked on the link Blogferry.com and thought I give this a try. So here is my adaptation  


Homesick Texan Carnitas


2.5-3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice (I had Key Lime Juice- worked wonderfully)
4 cloves garlic, (I used the already chopped and bottled – to save time)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Corn tortillas, for serving.

Place the pork in a large Dutch Oven.  Add the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt and enough water to just barely cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for two hours. Don’t touch the meat. (You could put all this in a Crock pot and let simmer for 4 hours on high. Then transfer to the Dutch Oven to for the last step.)
After two hours, increase the heat to medium-high and while occasionally stirring and turning the pieces, continue to cook for about 45 minutes, or until all of the liquid has evaporated, leaving only the rendered pork fat. Let it sizzle in this fat long enough to brown at the edges, turning pieces gently (they’ll be eager to fall apart), only as needed.
When pork has browned on both sides, it’s ready. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve on warmed tortillas with fixings. (see below)


Homemade Tortillas

2 C Masa Harina
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 C Water + a little

Mix all ingredients to make a stiff dough.  Roll the dough into a 1 ¾” ball, flatten it slightly, place in between 2 pieces of plastic, (I cut apart a gallon Ziploc bag and trimmed to fit the tortilla press- Note if you do not have a press you can use the bottom of a pie plate or heavy skillet)
Press the dough ball out to a small disc, pressing firmly on the press. Cook the tortilla on a flat griddle with a little oil, until the edges dry up and there are brown spots on both sides. Tortillas will be stiff but will soften as they stand.

Serve with shredded lettuce, cheese, avocado, sautéed onion, and/or salsa. Personally I like the avocado with a little lime juice.

Made these for my family Sunday Night – I wanted to sit and eat the meat alone all night. I am grateful for that little ticker that came across my screen the other morning and to the Homesick Texan who share the recipe. I am addicted.

Hope you will all give this recipe a try and maybe you will be addicted too.

Have fun Cookin’
Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...