Pin This

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 - Pies

A Boyer Thanksgiving, it is a must to include a Butter Crunch Pie. This is due to the fact that Rod will not eat Pumpkin, granted there are other pies but by far this one is our favorite.









Before Meringue

Butter Crunch Pie 
Crust
1 C Flour
½ C Brown Sugar
½ C Butter
1 C Finely Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
Filling
Chocolate Pudding (cook & serve)(small box) topped with meringue.
Melt butter in a glass dish in the microwave. Add flour and brown sugar, mix well. Add nuts. Push into a pie pan 9 or10 inches. Bake at 350 Degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Cook pudding (pie filling directions) according to the package.
Fill hot crust with filling (pudding). Top with Meringue. Bake with Meringue till peaks are golden brown 350°. Chill before serving.
Meringue
4 egg whites,
½ tsp Cream of Tartar,
½ tsp Vanilla,
½ C Sugar

Now just because Rod won’t eat Pumpkin pie doesn’t mean I don’t make them – I love them and to me it’s just not Thanksgiving without them. A few years back My MIL was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I felt like she was getting left out when it came to desserts. Up on making my pies that year I was faced with more filling that crust – I found a small glass bowl in my cupboard and filled it with the rest of the filling and baked it right along with my pies. She was so delighted to be able to have dessert with the rest of the family.

Pumpkin Pie

Crust
I've never been very good at making crusts, so my favorite crusts are the Deep Dish ones from Marie Calendars found in the freezer section at your local groceries.

2 Deep Dish Pie Crusts

Filling
1 ½ C sugar
1 tsp Salt
3 ½ tsp Pumpkin pie spice
4 Lg Eggs
4 C Pumpkin puree (or 1 (29 oz) can of Pumpkin
2 Cans Evaporated Milk

Mix sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, Stir in the pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually add the evaporated milk. Pour into the pie shells. (I like to put my pie shells on a cookie sheet before I add the filling.)

Bake in a pre-heated 425° oven for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350° and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool or serve warm. (Refrigerate leftovers (if there are any)) With whipped cream or Cool Whip ®
This is the one I made for My Mother-in-Law


Have fun cookin’

Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...