Pin This

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 - Turkey Part II



So after removing the turkey from the brine, I rinsed it off, patted it dry, and pulled out the seasonings. My favorite is Mrs. Dash's Onion and Herb seasoning and poultry seasoning, I sprinkled it on top and rubbed a little under the skin. I also have been wanting to try injecting a turkey, just to see what flavors it gives a turkey. I wanted to play it safe, seeing that this was Thanksgiving and all, I melted some butter and at 1st I added some of the poultry seasoning to the butter - well it kinda clogged the needle , so I just brushed that over the top, and melted another batch of butter and just injected that into the turkey breasts.


We placed this years 24 lb Turkey on the grill about 9:00 AM with a 10 briquettes on each side along with a generous handful of apple wood. We continued adding about 10-11 briquettes as needed and handfuls of apple wood. (see 2010 post for how to directions) 



Dinner was supposed to be served @ 2:30, well the turkey decided dinner would be served on it's time, which was about 3:30 when it finally reached the temperature of 165°. As Rod carved into the turkey, juices just flowed , I just couldn't resist sampling, oh WOW!!! what an amazing flavor. Smoky, buttery, juicy. Beautiful pink smoke ring. Even better than last years. 



As with last years, I may have to cook another one on Saturday, just because this is gobbled up so quickly (pun intended).

This year I have included here some of my families favorite dishes, I have opted to leave out the mashed potatoes and gravy, the stuffing, and cranberry sauce as they are nothing too exciting ( regular potatoes, Stove top, and canned cranberries). Maybe in the next few years I may try some thing a little more exciting - but the family likes them why change them? We also had creamed cauliflower - My Mother in law brought that, some day I will get her recipe and share that one also. And of course we had Onion Bombs. (last years post) the best thing next to the turkey of course.  

 I will be sharing some of my families favorite "Leftover turkey" recipes later in the week.

Hope you all have/had a fabulous Thanksgiving.

Have fun cookin'
Cyndi

PS - if you enjoy my Blog - Please follow me - I would love to hear your comments - also if you have any questions or suggestions let me know. 
Cyndi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...