Pin This

Monday, February 13, 2012

Momma's Homemade Bread

Last night we attended a fireside (a meeting for the youth of our church) it was for the kick-off for trek (more to come on that subject later) and as refreshments they had homemade bread - well Ok, I'm thinkin', they just went to Great Harvest and bought it - either way it smelled heavenly but no one from my family wanted to wait in line for a slice so I thought what the heck I'd make my own.

So obviously from my last post - I have spent the day in the Kitchen baking. Wow my house smells yummy!


Momma's Homemade Bread

4 C warm water
3/4 C powdered milk
3 Tbsp SAF yeast
4 Tbsp butter (melted and cooled)
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Tsp salt
6-8 C bread flour

In a mixer, add water, powdered milk, and mix until dissolved, add yeast, sugar, salt, and mix till combined. Change out your mixers paddles to the dough hook and add 2 cups of flour, and mix - then add flour a little at a time (while mixing) until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Pour dough onto a floured surface and knead till smooth. Place in an oiled bowl flip the dough once to coat with oil and cover with Saran Wrap. Place in a warm area till doubled in size. Pour out of the bowl again onto a floured surface and knead to release air bubbles. Cut into 4 pieces and form into loaves. Spray 4 - 9x5x3 with non-stick cooking spray (or wipe your pans with oil) and place the loaves into the pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes - a slight tap on the top of the loaf will tell if it is done (listen for a hollow sound).

This recipe is an adaptation of my own mothers' recipe - I grew up eating this all the time - I fondly remember eating sandwiches made on homemade bread for lunch. There is nothing better though that eating it fresh out of the oven with some homemade raspberry jam.

Have fun cookin'
Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...